Welcome to the JVS VITA Tax Site – Free Tax Preparation - Starting Tuesday January 31st!
The JVS VITA Tax site is a FREE, confidential service that prepares your federal and state tax returns. We want to make sure that you make the most of your tax refunds!
We're partnered with the Boston Tax Help Coalition (BTHC), a program through the Mayor’s Office of Financial Empowerment that has been promoting the economic independence of individuals and families since 2001.
JVS VITA Tax site will be operating in-person only from January 31st, 2023 through April 11th, 2023.
On Tuesdays & Thursdays from 3:00 – 8:00 pm.
If your 2022 earnings were less than $60,000, you’re eligible to take advantage of our offer. Even if you didn’t receive employment income, you may still be able to claim potential refunds.
As in the past, our site will NOT prepare returns for:
- Individuals with rental income, schedule C losses, or complicated Schedule Ds (Investment Accounts).
- Income from Uber/Lyft.
- Previous year’s returns or out-of-state returns (except New Hampshire).
- International students, exchange visitors on J, F, M or Q Visas, or recent US arrivals (after 5/31/22).
Please refer to a Boston Tax Help Coalition partner who may be able to help in these situations: https://www.bostontaxhelp.org/
Another option, if you are comfortable with preparing your own taxes, or want to give it a try: https://www.myfreetaxes.com/ by United Way.
- Save up to $500 in tax preparation services
- All volunteers are certified by the IRS to prepare taxes and are dedicated to serving the needs of taxpayers
- You will connect to additional services to build financial health and stability
Please make sure that you have the following documents:
- W-2 Forms
- 1099 Forms
- Health care documents (1099HC form for private health insurance and card for MassHealth)
- 1098T with college statements and receipts for materials or 1098E forms (total student loan interest paid)
- Childcare expenses (with childcare provider’s name, address, employer identification number (EIN) or social security number (SSN))
- Total rent paid in 2022
- Total commuter expenses
- and any mail you have received from the IRS and/or relevant tax documents
You will need to wait until you receive all of your documents before booking your appointment. When you are ready to book an appointment:
- Log into the web page to make an appointment: https://freetaxhelp.us/-/jvs, follow the instructions and fill out the information needed. This website will be available starting Monday, January 30th
- You will be required to show the government issued photo ID(s) and social security card(s) for all people on return
- Bring proof of Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
- JVS VITA Tax Site Phone: 617-399-3235 (Leave a Voicemail and we will return your call during the next business day)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org