Welcome to the JVS VITA Tax Site – Free Tax Preparation - Starting Thursday, February 1st!
The JVS VITA Tax site is a free, confidential service that prepares federal and state tax returns on behalf of clients. We want to make sure that clients get all the credits they deserve and to make the most of their tax refunds. JVS’s VITA Tax site partners with the Boston Tax Help Coalition (BTHC), a program of the Mayor’s Office of Financial Empowerment that has been promoting the economic independence of individuals and families since 2001.
JVS VITA Tax site will be operating in-person only, on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 2:30 – 8:00 pm.
Our VITA Tax site will continue to provide high quality and free tax preparation to people who earned $70,000 or less in 2023.
As in the past, our site will NOT prepare returns for:
- Individuals with rental income, schedule C losses or complicated Schedule Ds (Investment Accounts).
- Income from Uber/Lyft.
- Previous year’s returns or out-of-state returns.
- International students, exchange visitors on J, F, M or Q Visa or recent US arrivals (after 5/31/23).
Please refer to a Boston Tax Help Coalition partner who may be able to help in these situations: https://www.bostontaxhelp.org/
- Save up to $500 in tax preparation services.
- All volunteers are certified by the IRS to prepare taxes and they are dedicated to serving the needs of taxpayers
- You will connect to additional services to build financial health and stability.
Please make sure that you have ALL of your W-2s, 1099s, health care documents (1099HC form for private health insurance and card for MassHealth) and any other relevant tax documents. These could include: 1098T with college statements and receipts for materials or 1098E forms (total student loan interest paid), childcare expenses (with childcare provider’s name, address, employer identification number (EIN) or social security number (SSN)), total rent paid in 2022, total commuter expenses, and any mail you have received from the IRS. You will need to wait until you receive all of your documents before booking your appointment.
- Log into the web page to make an appointment: https://freetaxhelp.us/appt/-/jvs, follow the instructions and fill out the information needed. This website will be available starting Monday, January 22nd.
- You will be required to show the government issued photo ID and social security card (s) for all people on the tax return.
- Bring proof of Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit.
For more information, contact:
JVS VITA Tax site Phone: 617-399-3235 (Leave a Voicemail and we will return your call during the next business day)