Free Tax Preparation
Do you need help filing your taxes? JVS’s Tax Site can help you file your taxes for free, make sure that you get all the credits you deserve, and make the most of your tax refund. JVS’s Tax Center partners with the Boston Tax Help Coalition, which aims to provide free and easy tax preparation services to individuals and families.
In 2021 our completely virtual Tax Site will be operating from February 16th – April 15.
If you can answer yes to these three questions, then we encourage you to work with us this year:
- Do you have a smartphone or a computer with WiFi access?
- Do you have an email account?
- Do you have basic technical skills and access to the internet? The process involves filling out some forms online, you should be able to fill the form very easily if you have ever uploaded a Facebook photo or filled a survey on your phone.
You can work with us by going to https://www.getyourrefund.org/jvs
If you are not comfortable with a virtual preparation there is a drop-off option with other VITA sites in Boston. You can find those options here: https://www.bostontaxhelp.org/tax-sites/ Generally you will need to make an appointment.
One other option is if you are comfortable with preparing your own taxes or want to give it a try there is: https://www.myfreetaxes.com/. Myfree taxes doesn’t have an income limit and includes all forms.
- To qualify for free tax preparation, your household income must be $57,000 or less.
- We are unable to do returns which include income from Uber/Lyft, international returns, or individuals who arrived in the US after June 30th, 2020. Please refer to a Boston Tax Help Coalition partner who may be able to help in these situations: https://www.bostontaxhelp.org/tax-sites/
What to make sure you have available to upload:
- Government issued photo ID
- Social security card for yourself and any people they may be claiming
- Proof of health insurance (Health insurance cards, HC-1099, 1095-A, etc.) for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents. If you have MassHealth make sure to bring your MassHealth insurance card)
- If you received the premium tax credit, you must bring in a 1095A
- W-2 forms from all jobs in 2020
- All 1099 forms
- 1099 G – Unemployment
- 1099 R – Pension Payments
- 1099 INT – Interest Payments
- 1098T – tuition payments, with payment statement from college and receipts for materials
- 1098E forms – student loan interest paid
- Total child care expenses, and child care provider’s name, address, Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)
- Total rent paid in 2020 and total commuter expenses
- Any mail from the IRS and/or the Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR)
- Tax Return from last year (1040 would be most useful when uploading)
- Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit in a checking and/or savings account. You can split between your savings and checking accounts!
This is the process for working with JVS Virtually this Year:
- You will go to www.getyourrefund.org/jvs and complete an intake, upload your ID, social security card(s), and all relevant tax documents.
- An In-Take specialist will be in touch with you via phone to review your documents.
- A tax preparer will be assigned to complete the return. (tax preparer will only be in touch if they have questions)
- A quality reviewer will call you to review the return and ensure the return is complete and accurate.
- You will then sign forms electronically, authorizing the return to be submitted electronically.
- Finally, the return will be e-filed with the IRS electronically.